Chop Suey is a stir fried vegetable dish with meat and shrimp. This version has everything on it, including boiled quail eggs. The Chinese first introduced this to the Philippines, and it was embraced wholeheartedly until it became localized.
This recipe for chop suey is a quick and easy one. I made sure that the meats (chicken and pork were used, by the way) are cooked properly. These must be brown and tender. the vegetables, on the other hand, should be fresh and crisp. I tried my best to not overcook them. The shrimp was pan-fried for 1 minute per side and was added back towards the end of the process.
I like chop suey with quail eggs. This is the reason why I have it in this recipe. Fresh quail eggs are recommended. I am saying this because canned brined quail eggs are available in the market. It might look more convenient because the shells of the boiled eggs were already removed. However, It has funny taste. I am guessing that it might be from the brine and preservatives.
Try this Chop Suey Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 7 pieces medium shrimp cleaned and deveined
- 3 ounces sliced pork
- 3 ounces sliced boneless chicken breast
- 1 ½ cup cauliflower florets
- 1 medium carrot sliced crosswise into thin pieces
- 12 to 15 pieces snow peas
- 6 to 8 pieces baby corn
- 1 small bell pepper sliced into squares
- 1 small green bell pepper sliced into squares
- 1 ½ cups chopped cabbage
- 12 pieces boiled quail eggs
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons oyster sauce
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch diluted in ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil in a wok or pan.
- Pan fry the shrimp for 1 minute per side. Remove from the wok. Set aside.
- Saute onion. Add garlic and continue to saute until the onion becomes soft.
- Add pork and chicken. Stir fry until light brown.
- Add soy sauce and oyster sauce. Stir.
- Pour water. Let boil. Cover and cook in medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, carrots, bell peppers, snow peas, and young corn. Stir.
- Add cabbage. Toss. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Put the pan-fried shrimp into the pot and add ground black pepper.
- Add the boiled quail eggs and cornstarch diluted in water. Toss.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!