Ginisang Upo with Sardinas is a simple dish composed of sliced bottle gourd or opo squash and canned sardines in tomato sauce. I prefer mine somewhat spicy. I used spicy canned sardines for this reason. This simple dish is quick to prepare and inexpensive. It takes less than 20 minutes to prepare and cook and it can feed 4 people.
It is best to eat this with rice. It can be consumed for breakfast, lunch, or even dinner. It really depends on ones preference. Aside from using upo, other vegetables can be used as alternatives. For example, bitter gourd or ampalaya or even sayote works well when cooked with sardines.
I remember making a post a while back about tips on tips on how to enjoy eating sardines. You can check it through this link.
When I was still living in the Philippines, I make this dish at least once every 2 months. I do it when I want to cook something quick and easy, or when I am trying to make my budget work. I was reminiscing those days and thought of making this dish to bring back a sense of nostalgia.
Do you like to eat vegetables with sardines? What do you like (and don’t like) about it?
Try this Ginisang Upo with Sardinas Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 medium bottle gourd, peeled and sliced
- 2 (5.5 oz.) cans spicy sardines in tomato sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 medium ripe tomato, cubed
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Saute onion and garlic.
- Add tomato. Continue to cook until soft.
- Put the sliced upo (bottle gourd) into the pan. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Pour canned sardines. Stir.
- Add water. Let boil. Continue to for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and ground black pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!