This Cheesy Chicken Afritada is a richer version of my favorite Filipino chicken afritada. I added a good amount of shredded sharp cheddar cheese into the dish. It made an unexpected difference in a good way. The dish tasted better.
I liked how the taste of the sauce. There is a good harmony of flavor between the cheese, bell pepper, tomato sauce, and chicken. There is one ingredient that I wished could have been added – hotdogs. It won’t have a huge impact to the dish flavor wise. However, I think that adding this ingredient can help the dish be more attractive to kids visually. This can be helpful to mom’s who are trying to find ways on how to increase their child’s appetite.
Cheesy chicken afritada is easy to prepare. This recipe is suitable for first time cooks. If you aim to learn how to cook Filipino food, or simply how to prepare food in general, then this is for you. Give it a shot and then continue to practice by trying our other recipes at least once or twice a week. Keep on doing this and you will be a skilled cook in a few weeks.
I love having this with just warm white rice. I don’t partner this with any dish. How about you? What do you eat chicken afritada with?
Try this Cheesy Chicken Afritada Recipe. Let me know what you think!
Cheesy Chicken Afritada Recipe
- 2 ½ lbs. chicken cut into serving pieces
- 1 large baking potato cubed
- 1 medium carrot cubed
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 to 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion minced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a cooking pot
- Pan-fry the chicken for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove from the pot and transfer to a clean plate. Set aside.
- Sauté onion on the remaining oil for 20 seconds
- Add garlic. Continue to sauté until the onion softens.
- Put the pan-fried chicken back into the cooking pot. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Pour tomato sauce into the pot and add chicken broth. Let boil.
- Cover and continue to cook using medium heat for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Add potato and carrot. Stir. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add bell pepper. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper
- Add cheese. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!