Maja Blanca is a Filipino dessert made from coconut milk, cornstarch, and sugar. Often called Coconut Pudding, this luscious dessert is easy to make and the ingredients are very common.Unknown to many, the original Maja Blanca Recipe does not include corn and milk. In this recipe, I added whole sweet kernel corn and condensed milk for added taste and a more creamy texture.Since Christmas season is just around the corner, this would make a very good holiday dessert especially during potluck Christmas Parties and Noche Buena as well.
How to Cook Maja Blanca
Preparing Maja Blanca is quick easy. This Filipino dessert is something that I recommend for aspiring home cooks. All you have to do is basically cook everything in a pot and arrange it in a tray afterwards.
The first thing to do is to boil coconut milk in a pot. Fresh coconut milk is ideal. However, you can always use canned coco milk depending on the availability of ingredients. Simply pour coconut milk in a pot and apply heat. Keep an eye on the pot. Coconut milk has a tendency to splatter before boiling. I recommend to stir it every minute until it completely boils.
Add sugar once the bubbles surface. Stir until well blended. You can add the condensed milk and corn afterwards. Make sure to constantly stir the mixture while cooking. The recipe calls for whole kernel corn. Canned cream style corn can also be utilized.
This desert dish should be thick and smooth. Cornstarch is responsible for its texture and form. Simply dilute it fresh milk or evaporated milk, and then pour into the mixture. Keep on stirring until the mixture thickens and becomes smooth.
Transfer the entire mixture to a tray. Make sure to spread it evenly. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until firm. It is best to top it with toasted grated coconut, or with latik.
Try this Maja Blanca Recipe and let me know what you think.
This is a recipe for Maja Blanca.
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 14 ounces condensed milk
- 3/4 cup fresh milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 15 ounces whole sweet kernel corn
- 5 tbsp toasted grated coconut
- Pour the coconut milk in a cooking pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar, condensed milk, and whole sweet kernel corn then stir until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Simmer for 8 minutes
- Combine the milk and cornstarch then whisk until the cornstarch is diluted
- Pour the fresh milk and cornstarch mixture in the cooking pot and stir thoroughly.
- Allow to cook while stirring until the mixture reaches your desired thickness
- Pour the mixture in a serving tray then arrange and flatten the top using a flat tool such as a wooden spatula
- Allow to cool down then refrigerate for at least 1 hour
- Garnish with toasted grated coconut (or latik if available)
- Serve cold. Share and enjoy!