How to Cook Bulalo
This is a recipe for bulalo or beef shank soup.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time3 hrs
Total Time3 hrs 10 mins
- 7.5 lbs. Beef shank bulalo
- 1 Knorr beef cube
- 1 bunch Napa cabbage pechay Baguio
- 2 pieces sweet corn divided into 3 parts
- 15 to 20 pieces long green beans Baguio beans
- 4 medium yellow onion wedged
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorn
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce patis
- 12 to 15 cups water
Boil water in a large cooking pot.
Add beef shank. Cover the pot and boil for 15 minutes.
Scrape the scums out of the cooking pot. Add whole peppercorn and onion. Cover the pot. Continue to cook in low heat for 2 to 3 hours or until the beef becomes tender. Note: you can use a pressure cooker to tenderize the meat. It should only take around 45 minutes.
Scoop the fats (oil) floating on top of the soup and discard.
Add corn. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
Add long green beans (Baguio beans) and season with fish sauce (patis).
Arrange the fresh Napa cabbage (pechay baguio) on the serving bowl. Pour hot broth and arrange the beef shank, corn, and long green beans in the bowl.
Serve hot. Share and enjoy!