Paella Negra (Arroz Negre) Recipe
This is a recipe for Paella Negra (Arroz Negre)
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 6 to 9 pieces colossal shrimp or prawn
- 5 medium squid cleaned and sliced crosswise
- 2 cups Calasparra rice
- 1 1/2 cups white wine Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio
- 2 1/2 cups fish broth or clam juice
- 2 teaspoons tinta de calamar bottled squid or cuttlefish ink
- 1 medium yellow onion minced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 4 medium roma tomato peeled and sliced into small cubes
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 2 lemons sliced into wedges
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Heat olive oil in a paellera or wide pan.
Pan fry shrimp in medium heat for 1 minute per side. Remove and set aside.
Stir-fry the sliced squid for 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
Saute garlic and onion for 30 seconds. Add tomato. Continue to cook until onion starts to get translucent and soft. Note: you can add more olive oil if needed.
Add half of the bell pepper and 2 cups of Calasparra rice. Stir. Cook for 1 minute.
Pour the wine and fish broth into the pan. Add the squid ink (tinta de calamar). Stir and let boil.
Cover and continue to cook between low to medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Note: add water if needed.
Top with pan-fried shrimp, squid, lemon wedges, and remaining bell peppers. Cover the pan and continue to cook for 5 minutes or until the rice is cooked perfectly.
Serve. Share and enjoy!