Oxtail Kare-Kare Recipe
This is a recipe for Oxtail Kare-Kare (peanut stew).
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time2 hrs 30 mins
Total Time2 hrs 45 mins
- 2 ½ lbs. Oxtail
- 1 Knorr Pork Cube
- 2 bunches baby bokchoy or pechay
- 1 medium Chined eggplant sliced
- 10 pieces snake beans sitaw, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small fresh banana blossom puso ng saging, sliced
- ¾ cups annatto water ½ cup annatto seeds soaked in ¾ cups water
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup ground peanut
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup bagoong alamang
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 to 6 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
Heat oil in a cooking pot.
Saute garlic and onion.
Once the onion becomes soft, saute the Oxtail until light brown.
Pour water into the the pot. Let boil.
Add Knorr Beef Cube. Stir. Cover and cook between low to medium heat until the oxtail becomes tender. Note: This will take around 2 to 2 1/2 hours for conventional cooking, and 30 to 40 minutes if a pressure cooker is used.
Add peanut butter and ground peanuts. Stir.
Pour annatto water. Cook for 3 minutes.
Combine cornstarch and 1/2 cup cold water. Stir. Pour the mixture into the pot. Stir until the sauce gets thicker.
Add banana blossoms. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
Add eggplant and snake beans (sitaw). Cook for 5 minutes.
Put the bok choy into the pot. Stir. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
Transfer to a serving dish. Serve with bagoong alamang.
Share and enjoy!