Sweet and Sour Tofu
This is a recipe for tokwa with sweet and sour sauce.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu sliced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 piece green bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 piece red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 piece onion sliced
- 1 piece carrot sliced crosswise
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 7 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons of water
- 3 cups cooking oil
Heat the cooking oil in a deep cooking pot.
Deep fry the tofu. When the color turns light to medium brown, remove and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat a pan and then pour in a tablespoon of cooking oil (use remaining oil from fried tofu)
When the oil becomes hot, put-in the garlic and cook for 20 seconds.
Add the pineapple chunks, onion, green and red bell peppers. Stir and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
Combine sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, water, and ketchup in a bowl. Mix well.
Pour-in mixture to the pan where the vegetables are cooking. Stir and let boil.
Pour-in the cornstarch diluted in water. Stir until the sauce thickens.
Add the deep fried tofu. Stir.
Transfer to a serving plate.
Share and enjoy!
Calories: 434kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 282mg | Potassium: 617mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 48g | Vitamin A: 74.4% | Vitamin C: 95.7% | Calcium: 9% | Iron: 12.6%