Batangas Bulalo Recipe
This is a recipe for Batangas Bulalo or beef shank soup.
- 3 to 4 lbs. beef shank with extra bones
- 4 pieces medium red onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorn
- 1 ½ tablespoons rock salt or coarse sea salt
- 4 to 5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 8 to 10 cups water
- 1 small cabbage
- 3 bunches of baby bok choy
- 5 to 7 pieces chili peppers
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 piece lemon or 3 pieces calamansi
Boil water in a cooking pot.
Add the beef shank and bones. Cover and then continue to boil in low to medium heat for 1 hour.
Scoop away the floating scums and oil from the water. Add the onion, whole peppercorn, salt, and fish sauce. Cover and continue to boil for 3 hours.
Arrange the cabbage and bok choy leaves on a large serving bowl. Put the bones and meat over the vegetables. Scoop the hot soup over the meat.
Serve with a dipping sauce composed of chili peppers, fish sauce, and lemon or calamansi.
Share and enjoy!