Ginataang Tahong or Mussels cooked in Coconut Milk is a common Filipino Recipe involving Marine Mussels. Since Mussels are abundant and cheap in coastal areas, dishes such as this are regulars in the dining table.
Although Ginataang Tahong might be simple, it is undeniably delicious and can even increase your appetite. We know that most Filipino food is best eaten with rice, this dish is no exception. If you love spicy food, I suggest adding chili or Sriracha sauce while cooking. Dishes involving the use of coconut milk taste better when spicy.
I like Ginataang Tahong with or without the vegetables. The vegetables do not change the taste of the dish, though it adds more nutrition and makes it look prettier. You can also use frozen mussels (the ones without shells) for this recipe. Make sure to thaw them first.
Try this Ginataang Tahong Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Ginataang Tahong Recipe
- 1 lb. mussels, cleaned
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons ginger, cut in thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pieces birds eye chili (optional)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat the cooking oil in a cooking pot.
- Sauté the garlic, onion, and ginger
- Add the fish sauce, ground black pepper, and chili. Stir.
- Pour-in the coconut milk. Let boil.
- Let the coconut milk reduce to half and then add the spinach. Cook for 1 minute.
- Put-in the mussels. Stir and then cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 3