Ampalaya Con Carne is beef stir-fry with bitter gourd. This is dish is quick and easy to make. It is tasty and delicious. This is probably my favorite dish that involves ampalaya, aside from Pinakbet.
I like this dish because it is very convenient to prepare. I only takes less than 30 minutes to cook and it tastes fantastic!
How to Cook Ampalaya Con Carne
Cooking this dish involves marinating the beef in seasonings and spices and stir-frying it afterwards.
The first thing to do is to combine beef with all the marinade ingredients. Mix well and then let it marinate for 10 minutes. You can go longer if preferred.
I saute the aromatics first before stir-frying the beef. This means cooking garlic, ginger and onion in oil until the onion softens. The amapalaya or bitter gourd is added next. This vegetable tastes bitter. However, there are ways to reduce its bitterness. One method is to rub salt all over sliced ampalaya and let it stay for 10 minutes. Rinse with water afterwards. Note that this should be done before cooking the ampalaaya.
The marinated beef is added next. It is stir-fried until totally cooked, which takes around 3 to 5 minutes. Add water. Stir until the sauce thickens.
This is best eaten for lunch with rice.
Try this Ampalaya Con Carne Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Ampalaya Con Carne Recipe
- ½ lb beef sirloin sliced into thin pieces
- 1 piece ampalaya cored and sliced
- 1 piece onion chopped
- ¾ cups water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon Sesame oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 thumb ginger minced
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine beef sirloin, ground black pepper, soy sauce, sesame oil, and oyster sauce. Mix well. Add cornstarch and then continue to mix until all ingredients are well distributed. Marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot. Add the marinated beef sliced. Cook both sides for 30 seconds. Stir-fy the beef for 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Saute the ginger and garlic using the remaing oil. Add onion and continue to cook until it softens.
- Put the ampalaya into the pan. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beef back into the pan. Add water. Cover and let boil. Cook in medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve!