I am starting to cook different types of soups this week to keep myself warm from the dropping temperature. One of my favorite soups, which I also consider as a comfort food, is the Chicken Sotanghon Soup. I would describe this soup dish as a modified version of the regular Chicken Noodle Soup; but instead of using wide egg noodles, vermicelli noodles (sotanghon noodles) are utilized along with other special ingredients.
The noodles and special ingredients make the soup more appetizing and comforting. If you’ll take a look at the image, you’ll notice that the soup has a reddish color. I used to have a reddish Chicken Sotanghon Soup when I was in the Philippines and I wanted to make a similar version today. I used annatto water to provide the reddish color. So, where did I get the annatto water? Similar to Annatto oil, Annatto water can easily be made. All I needed was to soak the Annatto seeds (Atsuete seeds) in hot water for a few minutes and stirred the liquid to dilute the color. I discarded the seeds afterwards leaving a mixture of water and Annatto seed extract which is known as Annatto water.
If you are looking for soup recipes that would help keep you warm; or if you simply want to cook something nice; here is one delicious soup recipe that you should consider.
Try this Chicken Sotanghon Soup recipe and let me know your thoughts.
- 2 lbs chicken, cleaned
- 4 ounces sotanghon (rice noodles)
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup anatto water
- ½ cup carrots, julienned
- 3 tablespoons onion leeks, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons toasted garlic
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Patis (fish sauce)
- ¾ cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 piece chicken bouillon
- 1 piece dried bay leaf
- Pour water in a saucepan, apply heat, and let boil.
- Put-in bay leaf and chicken. Simmer until chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken and bay leaf from the cooking pot and let cool. Save the water used to tenderize the chicken for later use (as chicken stock).
- Separate the chicken meat from the bone then tear the meat into small pieces. Set aside.
- Soak sotanghon noodles in water for 6 minutes
- In a cooking pot, pour-in cooking oil then sauté garlic and onion.
- Put-in the chicken, fish sauce and ground black pepper then pour-in annatto water, and chicken bouillon.
- Pour the chicken stock and let boil. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery then cook for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Put-in cabbage, onion leeks, and sotanghon noodles then cook for 2 minutes more.
- Turn-off heat and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Top with toasted garlic and serve while hot.
- Share and enjoy!