Making ube flavored puto is easy and fun. If in case you want to make other varieties, you can still use this recipe and add the flavor that you desire (don’t forget to remove the ube). There are countless ways to make your desired rice cake with this recipe.
Puto with stuffing? No problem, add meat or any stuffing that you want, but put moderate amounts of stuffing to maintain the size and avoid deformations while baking.
2 cups uncooked rice
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup sugar
2 cups mashed ube (purple yam)
1/4 cup evaporated milk
4 tbsp. baking powder
1/4 cup butter
1. Wash rice and soak in water overnight then grind until the texture is fine. Use a native stone grinder, a corn meal grinder, or a meat grinder to do this.
2. Clean the purple yam by brushing. Rinse with water.
3. Cook the purple yam by placing in boiling water until the texture is soft.
4. Remove the purple yam from the pot and let the temperature cool down then peel the skin. Place in a mixing bowl then mash.
5. Add the ground rice and mash. Remove lumps by letting the mixture pass through a strainer or sifter.
6. Add sugar and butter then mix well.
7. Add coconut milk and baking powder. Mix thoroughly.
8. Pour the mixture into puto molds or spoon it into individual molds. Only 2/3 of the mold’s capacity should be filled.
9. Arrange the molds in a steamer over boiling water and cover.
10. Place cheese and/or salted egg (pulang itlog) over each puto.
11. Check if steaming is complete by using the toothpick test. Insert a toothpick in a piece of rice cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, this means that you are done.
12. Remove from the molds and serve with grated coconut.
Peapod Online Grocery Shopping and Delivery
Cinniejen’s Puto de Ube
10/15/2010 by 1 Comment
Download a FREE copy of the Panlasang Pinoy eCookbook Volume 1. Register now!
- 25 Filipino Recipes to Enjoy with the Family
- Top 10 Favorite Tilapia Recipes
- 10 Well Loved Filipino Desserts
- 12 (+ 8 more) Filipino Food to Have During the Holy Week
- 15 Creative Recipe Ideas for Ground Meat
Diets and Weightloss
- What is the Anorexic Diet?
- How to Lose Weight with Ketosis Diet
- Diabetic diet meal plan
- Best Food for an Upset Stomach
- How 1200 Calorie Diet Works