This dish has become a popular appetizer among Filipinos. This is often eaten with a spicy vinegar dip; it goes well with beer or any alcoholic beverage.
If you already watched the video, you will notice that the preparation and cooking time for this dish is short; you can complete everything for less than 10 minutes.
Just like any other dish, the success depends on the quality and freshness of the ingredients. It is still best to use fresh crablets, but you can modify the recipe in case you got the fresh frozen ones – like what I did.
I got fresh frozen crablets from Makro. Compared to fresh crablets, the quality of the fresh frozen ones is a bit off and the scent is much stronger. I usually use gin or sherry (you can also use tanduay rhum) to neutralize the odor and add some flavor.
Try this Crispy Crablets recipe and let me know your thoughts.
Recipe: Crispy Crablets
- 2 lbs crablets, cleaned
- 4 tablespoons gin or sherry (optional)
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooking oil
Watch the cooking video:
- Place the crablets in a bowl then pour-in gin or sherry. Mix gently.
- Sprinkle salt and ground black pepper then mix well.
- Heat a frying pan or cooking pot and pour-in cooking oil.
- Dredge the crablets in cornstarch then fry until texture becomes crispy.
- Remove from the pan and place in a plate lined with paper towel.
- Once excess oil drips-off completely, arrange in a serving plate and serve with spicy vinegar dip.
- Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 6