Crispy Five Spice Spare Ribs are marinated pork spare ribs that are deep-fried until crispy. This is a simple spare ribs recipe that can be served as an appetizer or main dish. I love having this as an appetizer. It also goes well with almost any dipping sauce. I find this dish similar to Crispy Pata in terms of texture and taste. This is the reason why I enjoy dipping this in a mixture of vinegar, soy sauce, and chopped onions.
Making the spare ribs crispy is easy. You do not need to boil the ribs before frying (like most recipes require). All I did was deep-fry the ribs twice. This was the technique that I used to make Crispy French Fries.
Do you love spare ribs? What are your favorite spare rib recipes?
Try this Crispy Five Spice Spare Ribs recipe and let me know your thoughts.
Crispy Five Spice Spare Ribs
- 2 lbs pork spare ribs, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Five Spice Powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or rice wine
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups cooking oil
- Combine ribs, five spice powder, salt, garlic powder, sherry, ground black pepper, and cornstarch. Mix well and marinate for at least 3 hours.
- Heat a deep fryer or cooking pot and pour-in cooking oil.
- Divide the marinated ribs into two batches.
- When the oil turns hot, deep fry the first batch of marinated ribs for about 8 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the first batch of ribs from the fryer and transfer to a plate. Meanwhile, deep fry the second batch for a good 8 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the second batch of ribs from the fryer and transfer to a plate. Deep fry the first batch of ribs for the second time for another 10 minutes or until the texture becomes crispy.
- Remove the first batch of ribs from the fryer and transfer to a serving plate lined with paper towels (this will absorb excess oil).
- Put-the second batch of ribs in the fryer and fry for 10 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove the second batch from the fryer and transfer to the serving plate with the first batch of ribs.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 4