The 1200 Calorie diet is a weight loss diet that revolves around the calorie counting technique. As the name implies, the 1200 Calorie diet requires you to limit your daily calorie intake to just 1200 calories, which is the nutritionally adequate amount that is safe, healthy, and just enough to sustain the body. And since your body has all the calories it needs, this will help keep food cravings under control. On the other hand, getting less than 1200 calories per day will deprive your body of the calories it needs, and this will lead to a slower metabolic rate. Once this happens, you will gain weight rather than lose it.
- There is no need to remember which foods you can eat and which you need to avoid. With a 1200 Calorie diet, you can eat anything you want; just make sure their calorie content all add up to 1200 and not more.
- You can choose any kind of diet plan, as long as the total calories you consume per day is 1200. You can choose to go with raw foods, vegetarian foods, alkaline foods, high protein foods, or low carb foods, depending on your specific dietary needs. Thus, even though it is a diet plan itself, the 1200 Calorie diet can be further customized. If you need to lose weight, you can use a low carb diet plan. If you need to build more muscles, use a high protein diet plan.
- There are many 1200 Calorie sample diet plans online, so it’s easy to find one that suits you.
- There are no costs involved in following this diet plan.
- If you are not careful in planning your meals, the 1200 Calorie diet may also lead to a lack of certain important nutrients.
- You need to find a way to remember how many calories you have consumed. This is quite a hassle, and requires dedication and patience. That’s why the 1200 Calorie diet is actually more than just a diet. It requires a lifestyle change.
- The 1200 Calorie diet is not appropriate for men and women who weigh over 165 pounds and are overly active. People who weigh more and are more active need more calories to sustain their body’s needs.
- For long term diet goals such as weight loss, you may need a lot of patience and discipline before you can see results.
Important Guidelines for the 1200 Calorie Diet
When preparing your 1200 Calorie diet plan, make sure that it has the right balance of the three macronutrients, namely carbohydrates, protein, and fats. Ideally, 55% of the calories should come from carbohydrate foods, 30% from fats, 15% from proteins, and 10% from saturated foods.
Also, remember to drink a lot of water while on a 1200 Calorie diet. If not, you will run the risk of getting dehydrated.
The 1200 Calorie diet alone is not an effective weight loss plan. The best way to lose weight is still to combine healthy eating with exercise. A 1200 Calorie diet is not necessarily a healthy diet. This still depends on the types of food you put into your meal plan. Although you can eat anything in a 1200 Calorie diet, you will obtain success faster if you focus on fruits and vegetables, nuts and legumes, whole grains, and lean meats.