A good soup can help build your appetite; it can also make your meal more enjoyable. During cold weather, a cup of hot soup is all it takes to make you feel warm and cozy. This Ham and Potato Soup Recipe is quick and easy to prepare. Its rich flavor will definitely satisfy you.
Ham is one of the major ingredients of this soup. It gives this soup a nice meaty flavor. Since I still have some leftover ham, I though of making some dishes out of them. The potatoes are part of the 10 lb bag that I’m trying to consume. Since buying in bulk saves me money, I tend to purchase potatoes this way. The good thing about this is nothing goes to waste because there are tons of potato recipes out there.
I like the rich flavor of this soup. To me, it is a complete meal on its own. Having some crackers or bread on the side also helps to make me full. As an appetizer, this Ham and Potato Soup will please your palate and increase your appetite for the remaining courses of the meal.
Try this Ham and Potato Soup Recipe and let me know what you think.
Recipe: Ham and Poato Soup
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced
- 3 cups potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, minced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh milk
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon spring onions, chopped (for garnish)
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a cooking pot.
- When the butter is hot, add ham. Cook for 1 minute.
- Put-in potato, onion, and celery. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour-in chicken broth. Let boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan.
- Gradually whisk-in flour. Stir until the mixture thickens.
- Slowly pour milk while continuously stirring. Cook (while stirring) until the texture becomes thick. Set aside.
- Pour the milk and flour mixture on the cooking pot where the ham and potatoes are. Add salt and pepper. Stir and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and garnish with spring onion.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 4