I love kare-kare and pochero. I like the ox tripe in kare-kare and I thought that it is be a good match with beef especially when cooked pochero style. I wanted the tripe and beef simmered until both gets really tender. That is something like this pochero dish that I made for you; the tripe and beef is so tender and delicious.
I started out by cleaning the tripe well. I made sure to wash it with water and soak it in hot water for a few minutes to get rid of the odor. The cooking process is simple and straightforward; you just need to ensure that the tripe and beef gets really tender though. This means cooking in very low heat (also called simmering) while the cooking pot is covered. You will also need to check the liquid and make sure that it does not dry-up. Add water if you think that the sauce is evaporating too fast. Aside from simmering for more than an hour, you can use a pressure cooker to speed-up the process. 25 to 35 minutes in the pressure cooker should be enough.
Try this Beef and Tripe Pochero Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 lb. beef chuck, cubed
- 1 lb. ox tripe, sliced into squares and cleaned
- 6 to 8 pieces small potato
- 1 bunch baby bok choy
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, water removed
- 1 (4 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups beef broth
- 4 pieces saba banana, sliced
- 3 pieces Chinese sausage, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1-teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1½ tablespoons fish sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat a cooking pot then pour-in the oil.
- Once the oil gets hot, sauté the onion and garlic
- Add the ox tripe and cook for 2 minutes.
- Put-in the beef and sliced sausage. Continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the color of the beef turns light brown.
- Pour-in the beef broth and tomato sauce. Let boil.
- Cover and simmer for 90 minutes or until the tripe and beef are tender. Add water if needed.
- Once the meat gets tender, make sure that there is enough liquid left. If the sauce is a bit thick, add more beef broth or water. Put the chickpeas, banana, and potato in the cooking pot and continue to cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the ground black pepper and fish sauce. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Put the bok choy in the cooking pot. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!