I tried to make this Beef Short Rib Kare Kare Recipe as simple as possible by using only the necessary ingredients and having everything in one pot. Now, even beginners can make their own kare-kare by following the detailed instructions listed below.
Before you start, let me note that you can use any cut of beef even though the recipe calls for beef short rib. For example, this recipe works with sirloin, chuck, and brisket — even with beef tripe.
I also made use of ground peanuts (no peanut butter for this recipe); these are raw peanuts that were grinded using a food processor. In order to achieve best results, try to process peanuts longer so that it will be very fine. This took me around 12 to 15 minutes. The queue to stop is when the peanuts starts to stick to each other forming a lump.
Snake beans or sitaw and baby bok choy are the only vegetables used in this recipe (aside from the banana blossom). You can add eggplant if desired. The shrimp paste (bagoong) that I used was store bought. You can make one from scratch or quickly purchase a bottle from the supermarket.
You should be ready to cook kare-kare. Send me a comment if you have questions. Happy cooking!
Try this Beef Short Rib Kare Kare Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 2½ lbs. beef short rib
- 10 pieces snake beans, cut into 2 inch length
- 1 bunch baby bok choy
- 1¼ cups ground peanut
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small banana blossom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon glutinous rice flour diluted in ¼ cup water
- ¾ cup annatto water
- 1½ cups water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- ½ cup sautéed shrimp paste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Once the oil becomes hot, saute garlic and onion.
- Add the ground peanut. Cook while stirring for 3 minutes.
- Put the beef short ribs in. Cook until light brown.
- Pour annatto water and water. Let boil. Note: Make your own annatto water by soaking ½ cup annatto or atsuete seeds in ¾ cup warm water for at least 10 minutes and then stir thoroughly to extract the color.
- Cover the pressure cooker. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Safely remove the cover and then add the banana blossoms. Cook for 5 minutes. Note: Prepare the banana blossoms by soaking it in water with 3 tablespoons salt for 15 minutes. Wring the banana blossoms before cooking.
- Pour the glutinous rice flour with water into the pot. Stir until the texture of the liquid thickens. Note: You can use cornstarch as an alternative ingredient.
- Add snake beans and bok choy. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with shrimp paste.
- Share and enjoy!