This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Pesang Baboy at Manok is the next best thing to pork nilaga, as far as I am concerned. It is as simple to prepare and makes use of minimal ingredients. Both dishes look the same, but what is the main difference? The answer is ginger. “Pesa” is a type of soup dish wherein meat or fish are cooked in ginger broth.
This dish can be best defined as pork and chicken slices (with potato and Napa cabbage) boiled in ginger broth. It is so simple and anyone can make this with ease. If you are learning how to cook and haven’t cooked anything in your life, go ahead and try this recipe. It is easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Aside from Napa cabbage, you may also use other alternative ingredients such as cabbage and baby bok choy (or pechay). The chicken and pork makes a good combination, but you can use one or the other – or both like what we have for this recipe. Fish is also a good substitute for meat. If you want the fish version, check out this pesang isda recipe.
Pesang Baboy at Manok can be eaten as it is, but it is usually eaten with rice. It will be better if you will have it with a dip of spicy fish sauce. You can make one by combining a few teaspoons of fish sauce with crushed red chili.
Try this Pesang Baboy at Manok Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 lb. pork belly cubed
- 2 lbs. chicken cut into serving pieces
- 4 thumbs ginger pounded
- 2 medium potato sliced into large cubes
- 2 teaspoons whole peppercorn
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 8 to 10 cups water
- 1 large banana pepper or 2 pieces siling pansigang
- 8 leaves Napa cabbage pechay Baguio, sliced
- Combine 8 cups water, pork, chicken, whole peppercorn and ginger in a cooking pot. Let boil. Cover and continue to cook in low to medium heat for 1 hour.
- Pour the remaining 2 cups of water (add more if needed). Let it boil once more.
- Add the cubed potato and banana pepper (or siling pansigang). Continue to cook in medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the sliced Napa cabbage and pour-in the fish sauce. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with a cup of white rice.
- Share and enjoy!