This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sinampalukang Manok is a sour soup dish composed of chicken , vegetables, and tamarind leaves. This chicken soup recipe is similar to Sinigang. The only difference is the use of tamarind leaves.
Some people say that Sinampalukang Manok is just another sinigang recipe. I agree in a way. However, I think that there are still some noticeable differences that gives both dishes their own identities.
Sinampalukang Manok is best eaten with warm steamed rice. I usually eat this with a dip composed of fish sauce and crushed bird’s eye chili. I personally think that Sinampalukang Manok makes me feel better. Every time I catch cold or feel weak, a bowl of Sinampalukang Manok is all I needed to get back on track.
Does anyone know where Sinampalukang Manok originated? I am trying to trace the roots of this soup dish, but I cannot find any solid information. It would be greatly appreciated if you can share some information.
Try this Sinampalukang Manok Recipe and let me know what you think.
Watch the Video on How to Cook Sinampalukang Manok (Sinigang na Manok)
- 1 to 1 1/2 lb chicken sliced into serving pieces
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 3 medium tomatoes quartered
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 cups tamarind leaves
- 1/2 lb long green beans or string beans
- 1 medium Chinese eggplant sliced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon sinigang mix optional
- 1 chicken bouillon
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 to 4 cups water
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Saute onion and tomatoes.
- When the onions and tomatoes becomes soft, add the chicken and then cook until the color of the outer part turns light brown.
- Pour-in the fish sauce, and then add chicken bouillon. Stir.
- Pour-in water and let boil.
- Add tamarind leaves and sinigang mix powder. Simmer until chicken becomes tender.
- Add the eggplant and long green beans. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Put-in the spinach and cover the cooking pot. Let the cover stay for 5 to 6 minutes for the residual heat to cook the spinach.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!