Custard Cake resembles a chiffon cake with a topping of sweetened milk and egg mixture known as custard. At first glance, this could be mistaken as a giant Leche Flan because the topping resembles one. Guess what? The topping of this cake is definitely Leche flan and the only distinction is the soft cake below.
In the Philippines, this is usually available by the slice in local bakeries (or panaderya). I remember always getting this along with egg pie. I find this dessert very tasty and sweet so pairing this up with kapeng barako (brewed coffee) to balance the sweetness is not a bad idea.
Try this Custard Cake recipe.Let me know what you think.
1 cup granulated sugar
1 can condensed milk
1 cup fresh milk
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup milk mixed with 1/4 cup water (milk diluted in water)
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon (lemon rind)
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
6 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Watch the cooking video:
1. Create the caramel
1. 1 Heat a 9 x 13 “ baking pan in the stove top using medium heat
1.2 Pour-in the granulated sugar and let stand until the sugar melts (or turns into caramel). You may want to stir the sugar once in a while to make sure that everything is equally distributed within the area of the baking pan.
1.3 Set aside.
2. Create the custard
2.1 Combine milk, egg yolks, and sugar in a mixing bowl.
2.2 Stir the ingredients until everything is properly distributed
3. Pour the custard mixture on the baking pan with caramel. Set aside
4. Create the cake
4.1. In a clean mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks then gradually add the sugar. Continue beating for about 2 minutes.
4.2 Put-in a small amount of cake flour alternately with the milk diluted in water and mix well. Do this procedure until the cake flour and milk diluted in water are completely used up.
4. 3 Put-in the lemon rind then beat until texture is smooth. Set aside.
5. Create the meringue
5.1. Beat the egg whites using an electric mixer until texture becomes bubbly (use high speed).
5.2 Add the cream of tartar then continue to beat until texture becomes fluffy (about 3 to 4 minutes in high speed).
5.3 Gradually add the sugar then continuously beat until meringue is shiny and firm.
6. Fold the cake mixture into the meringue until well blended
7. Pour the folded cake and meringue mixture over custard mixture in the baking pan.
8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
9. Pour about 6 to 8 cups of hot water on a roasting pan (with rack) then place the cake pan on top of the rack.
10. Place the roasting pan that contains the cake pan with all the mixtures in the oven and bake for about 60 minutes or until the toothpick test indicates that the cake is ready.
11. Remove cake from the oven and allow the temperature to cool down.
12. Transfer to a serving tray then refrigerate for at least an hour.
13. Serve chilled, share and enjoy!