Callos or ox tripe stew is a Filipino-Spanish dish made from ox tripe and veal shanks (ox feet). The tripe and shanks are boiled and simmered until the texture becomes extra tender; this makes eating this dish pleasurable. Different vegetables can also be added but the commonly used are carrots, chick peas (garbanzos), and bell pepper.
I like this dish because of its texture. The extra tender tripe and fat from the ox feet literally melts in your mouth while the luscious taste of chorizo and bacon lingers around – inviting you to try more. Though it looks and sounds enticing (which it does), moderation is still recommended because of the high fat and cholesterol content of this dish. It is good to enjoy food but it is better to enjoy life.
Try this Callos recipe.
1 1/2 lb ox feet (veal shanks), cleaned
2 lbs ox tripe, cleaned
15 ounces chick peas (garbanzo beans)
8 ounces tomato sauce
2 pieces chorizo de bilbao, sliced
1/4 lb bacon, sliced crosswise in 1 inch length
1 large bell pepper, cut into thick strips
1 large onions, sliced
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Ground black pepper
1 medium sized carrot, cubed
1 teaspoon whole peppercorn
4 cups water
Watch the cooking video:
1. Pour water in a casserole or cooking pot and bring to a boil.
2. Put-in the onion, whole peppercorn, ox feet, and ox tripe. Simmer until the ox feet and tripe are extremely tender (you may use a slow cooker or pressure cooker for this step).
3. Remove the ox feet and tripe from the cooking pot and let it cool down for a few minutes. Set the stock aside for later use.
4. Cut the ox tripe into bite size pieces and debone the ox feet. Set aside.
5. Heat a large wok or pan then pour-in the olive oil.
6. Add chorizo de bilbao and bacon then cook in medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes.
7. Pour-in the tomato sauce then let boil.
8. Add the tender ox feet and tripe and 2 cups of stock (water used to boil ox feet and ox tripe) then simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Add salt and pepper then put-in the carrots. Simmer for 3 minutes.
10. Put-in the chick peas and bell pepper then simmer for 10 minutes.
11. Transfer to a serving dish.
12. Serve hot. Share and enjoy!