Minatamis na Saging is a dessert dish wherein plantains (locally known as “saging na saba”) are sweetened by cooking in a sweet mixture composed of water, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla extract.
This is one of the quick and easy Filipino dessert recipes that we have. Imagine making your own dessert for less than 15 minutes; you can use your extra time in trying our other dessert recipes.
Did you know that this recipe can be used as the base for Saging con Hielo? If in case you are interested to make one, I wrote a tip at the end of this post.
Try this Minatamis na Saging Recipe and let me know what you think.
- 4 pieces saba banana (saging na saba)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat a cooking pot and pour-in water then let boil.
- Add brown sugar and stir until diluted.
- Add salt and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Put-in the plantains and adjust the heat to medium. Cover the cooking pot and simmer for 8 to 12 minutes or until the liquid thickens.
- Turn-off heat and allow the plantains to cool.
Watch the cooking video:
Tip: Adding crushed ice and evaporated milk will make you a serving of Saging con Hielo. This is a delicious Filipino Dessert popular during the summer.