Do you want to bake your own pie? I’m sure, you do. While preparing all the ingredients for the filling, don’t you think that it is proper to make your own pie crust too, sometimes?
We all know that ready-made pie crusts can be bought in grocery stores and we can even choose the kind of crust that we like. There is nothing bad about buying ready-made pie crusts because it saves a lot of time and effort; when in a hurry, I use them too.
But, how would you feel if you are able to make a pie without using ready-made pie crusts? That will feel good, wouldn’t it? You can develop self confidence and you will always be ready if in case ready-made pie crusts are not available.
Here’s how I do it.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoon water, cold
4 tablespoons butter, cold and divided into 4 pieces (1 tbsp each)
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening (butter flavored shortening can also be used)
1. Combine flour and salt in a mixing bowl and mix them using a balloon whisk.
2. Add the butter and shortening then mix using a pastry blender.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of cold water at a time while mixing until all the ingredients are properly distributed.
4. Gather the dough and shape into a ball then press to flatten. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. Roll the dough in a clean flat surface until the area is enough for your 9 inch round cake pan. Always sprinkle flour on your work area and rolling pin so that the dough won’t stick.
6. Arrange the flattened dough on your cake pan. You may want to refrigerate this for 20 minutes until the texture becomes firm.
7. You may now fill this with your favorite pie filling.