Arroz a la Cubana is a popular dish in Spain. The Spanish version is made-up of white rice, fried egg, and tomato sauce. It does not include any meat at all. Filipino Arroz a la Cubana Recipe is more festive because it has fried bananas and ground meat along with rice and fried eggs. The additional ingredients make the Filipino version distinctive.
This Arroz a la Cubana Recipe will produce a nice tasting ground meat dish that goes well with bananas and egg. Arroz a la Cubana can be eaten as a heavy breakfast (and I really mean heavy because you have both bananas and rice) or lunch. You can try to have this for dinner, but you will need to delay your sleep time for a couple of hours or wait until the food is fully digested, at least.
I find it best to use “saging na saba” for this Arroz a la Cubana Recipe instead of relying with plantains. Filipino Saba Banana has this distinctive sweetness. In addition, “saging na saba” is meat for frying as evidenced by its nice texture. Sometime I even sprinkle a little sugar on top of the fried bananas to adjust the taste to my preference.
Try this Arroz a la Cubana Recipe and send me your feedback.
- 1 lb ground beef (80/20)
- 1 lb ground pork
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 pieces fried banana (saba)
- 6 pieces fried eggs
- 6 cups of hot steamed white rice
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In a large cooking pan, sauté the onion, garlic, and tomato
- When the tomato becomes soft, put-in the ground beef and pork. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour-in tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and raisins. Stir and then cover the pan. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until the liquid evaporates.
- Remove the cover and then put-in the green peas. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes in low to medium heat.
- Arrange in individual plates with steamed rice, fried bananas, and fried egg.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!