This is a recipe for binakol na manok. It is a healthy chicken soup dish that resembles tinola, except that this is cooked using “buko”. I am referring to young coconut water along with the buko meat. Binakol is a popular dish in Western Visayas, specifically in the province of Aklan and the nearby provinces.
When I first heard about this dish, I was curious on how the coconut water will blend with chicken as a soup dish. I love to drink coconut water, and I enjoy having young coconut meat in its fresh form or as a dessert (like buko pandan). However, I was not sure on how it will play along when cooked and mixed with other ingredients.
I remember that it was back in my college days when a good friend introduced me to this dish. He came from the province of Antique, which is located near Aklan. There was excitement and hesitation when a bowl full of binakol was brought in front of me; I needed to give it a try to satisfy my curiosity. It was during that time that binakol na manok (or chicken binakol) had a permanent place in my palate. I thought that it was really good – mildly sweet and tasty. Both my appetite and curiosity were satisfied at the same time.
Binakol na manok is a good source of protein and electrolytes. Consuming 4 ounces of chicken meat can get you near your daily-recommended dietary allowance for protein. Young coconut juice, on the other hand, is known to be rich in electrolytes (from Pottasium). It can help keep blood pressure levels stable and it can also help our muscles function properly.
How to Cook Binakol na Manok
Believe it or not, cooking binakol na manok is easy; you should be able to do it even with minimal cooking experience.
The first thing to do is rub salt and pepper all over the chicken. Let it stay for a few minutes. Next is to combine the chicken with onion, ginger, tomato, coconut water, and lemongrass. Let it boil until the chicken gets tender. Add the rest of the ingredients towards the end. That’s it.
Try this Binakol na Manok Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1½ lbs. chicken, sliced into serving pieces
- 4 cups young coconut water
- 1 cup young coconut meat
- 1 cup hot pepper leaves
- 1 bunch lemongrass
- 1 large plum tomato, cubed
- 1 bunch scallions, cut into 3 inch length pieces
- 1 medium potato, cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 thumbs ginger, crushed
- 1 Knorr chicken cube
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Rub salt and pepper all over the chicken. Let it stay for 15 minutes.
- Arrange the chicken, onion, tomato, ginger, and young coconut water in a pot. Turn on the heat. Let boil.
- Put the lemongrass in the pot. Cover. Cook in low heat for 40 minutes.
- Add the potato. Cover and then cook for 10 minutes.
- Put the scallions, hot pepper leaves, and young coconut meat. Stir. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!