Menudo with ham is a special pork menudo version wherein ham, raisins, and bell peppers were added. It has a mildly sweet taste and is best served during special occasions or events. There is nothing special today, but I still opted to make one because I have been craving for this dish for a long time.
I used pork butt for this recipe because it has a good amount of fat that keeps the meat from getting dry. In fact, the pork was tender and juicy. The ham that I used for this recipe was center cut ham steak (also known as center ham slice). You can use any type of ham and slice it into cubes to resemble the pork slices.
Raisins help make this menudo taste sweeter. I used 1 ounce of raisins, which is equivalent to one small box. Feel free to add more raisins if you want this to be sweeter. Bell peppers are recommended because it adds good flavor to this
One thing that I want to give emphasis to is the liquid that I used to boil the pork to make it tender. I used beef broth. However, I mentioned in the video to use plain water if beef broth is not available. All you need is to cook the pork longer to extract the flavor. A better alternative to beef broth is the use of both water and beef cube (or beef bouillon). Pork cubes can also be used. This will make your menudo with ham more tasty and yummier.
Try this menudo with ham recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 6 ounces pork, sliced into small cubes
- 5 ounces ham, cubed
- 1 small potato, cubed
- 1 small carrot, cubed
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 ounce raisins
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cup beef broth (or 1½ cup water with 1 piece beef cube)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Sauté garlic and onion
- Once the onion gets soft, add the pork. Cook until light brown.
- Add the ham. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the tomato sauce and beef broth. Let boil.
- Add the raisins. Cover and cook between low to medium heat until the pork gets tender.
- Add potato, carrot, and bell pepper. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add salt and ground black pepper. Stir. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with rice.
- Share and enjoy!