Pineapple Upside Down Cake was invented during the 20’s. This was the time when canned pineapples were introduced by Dole. There were different pineapple recipes presented during that time — Pineapple Upside Down Cake seems to be a favorite as evidenced by several years of existence.
Unlike other cakes, Pineapple Uside Down Cake is intended to be served warm. There is something about its taste that makes it better when served warm like the the taste of caramelized sugar in taho — tasty and appetizing.
This cake is the best dessert that I had for this week. I like it because it is so flavorful and yummy. I cannot put into words the magnificent pleasure that I experienced when I was eating this cake.
On another note, this recipe makes use of shortening. I realized that not everyone is familiar with this ingredient, so I composed a post to describe it. Click here to read more about shortening.
Have you had Pineapple Upside Down Cake lately?
Try this Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe and let me know what you think.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 slices of pineapple use canned pineapple
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 piece raw egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place butter in a cake pan and melt by placing in the oven.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and then sprinkle some brown sugar.
- Arrange the sliced pineapples over the sugar.This will look better if you place some maraschino cherries.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix using an electric mixer until all the ingredients are well distributed.
- Pour the batter (mixed ingredients) in the cake pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
- Remove from the oven, and then transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve while still warm. Share and enjoy!