Simplicity is beauty, just like what you are seeing now. My wife made this simple stuffed eggplant out of some available ingredients that we have in the fridge and everything went well. To tell you the truth, it was above my expectations in terms of taste and presentation — and this was done in the simplest possible way.
As you know, I and my wife (Dey) both contribute to this food blog. However, I am more outgoing (this word sound better than thick-faced) than her, so I am the one who shoots the videos and write most of the articles. She helps a lot in terms of recipe development and she is also my top critic. We make sure that the recipes that we both publish pass our standards. For example, this stuffed eggplant recipe is beyond my definition of satisfactory — it is simply good and a must try.
You can mix and match the vegetables that you can use to stuff the eggplant with. You can try bell peppers, zucchini, or yellow squash. Serve it with ketchup or with a Filipino dipping sauce such as soy sauce with lemon.
Try this Stuffed Eggplant recipe. Cheers!
- 2 pieces Chinese eggplants
- 4 pieces assorted red and yellow sweet peppers (or bell peppers)
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- Grill the eggplants until the insides are soft and the skin gets burnt. Peel the skin. Arrange the eggplants in a flat surface and press with a fork. Set aside.
- Combine the beaten eggs, salt, and ground black pepper. Whisk to mix well.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Dip the eggplant in the egg mixture then lay flat on the pan. Fry for 1 minute.
- While frying one side, arrange the chopped sweet peppers and scallions on top of the eggplant. Scoop a tablespoon or two of the egg mixture and pour over the eggplant.
- Turn the eggplant over using a wide spatula. Fry the opposite side for 3 to 5 minutes in low to medium heat.
- Top the other half with sweet peppers and scallions, then pour some beaten egg mixture over.
- Flip the eggplant so that the opposite side gets cooked. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!