Ube Pichi Pichi is one of my favorite treats. Just like cassava cake, it is also made with grated cassava. Once Pichi is cooked, it is then rolled over shredded coconut before serving.
Pichi Pichi can be considered as a dessert or as a mid afternoon snack. I remember having this with Filipino Spaghetti when I was still in Manila. I still enjoy the combination until now.
Making Ube Pichi Pichi is simple and easy. However, you should have a small mold and a steamer at least to get started. In terms of preparation, all you need to do is combine and mix all the ingredients together until well blended. Make sure not to include the coconut yet — it will be used towards the end of the process.
Steaming is the only method to cook pichi pichi. I used small silicone cups as molds for the mixture and arranged these in a bamboo steamer to steam for around an hour. I think that a bamboo steamer is more convenient than a metal steamer because I don’t need to put cheese cloth on top to prevent accumulated steam (which turns into water) from dripping. The bamboo cover prevents this from happening. Having extra water can affect the consistency of the mixture, that is why we need to control it.
Before I forget, let me tell you that this recipe needs a teaspoon for food grade lye water. I am using a safe amount for this recipe. Make sure to not go over the recommended amount (see recipe). This article about lye water might help answer some of your questions.
Try this Ube Pichi Pichi Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 28 ounces grated cassava (around 2½ cups)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon lye water (food grade)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ube flavoring
- ¾ cup grated coconut
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, except for the coconut. Stir thoroughly until the mixture gets well blended.
- Pour the cassava mixture in a small mold such as a silicone cup. Arrange the molds in a steamer.
- Steam for 60 minutes.
- Remove from the steamer. Let it cool down completely until the texture gets close to sticky tikoy.
- Roll each piece of pich pichi over shredded /grated coconut.
- Arrange in a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!