Banana chips are crisp slices of bananas that are usually consumed as a snack. The banana slices are deep fried; some are baked; while others are dehydrated.There are several Banana chips Recipe available that produces different results.
What we have here are Sweet Banana Chips. We will make ours by deep frying the banana slices in cooking oil. Before starting, allow me to remind everyone to be cautious. This recipe is not simple as it may seem. There are steps that will require utmost caution. Please try to be safe at all times.
There is a step that will require the use of a mandolin slicer to slice the bananas. Make sure that your fingers are protected at all times while performing this step. An optional step of adding the turmeric mixture in hot oil can cause the oil to bubble and splash. This will only add a yellowish color to the bananas. If you think that you cannot handle this step, please skip it.
Deep frying the bananas will make it crisp and crunchy. When the deep fried banana slices are drained, you can eat them right away. You can also enjoy sweet banana chips by quickly dipping the fried chips in simple syrup.
If you like sweet fried banana, I also invite you to try Turon. It is a type of sweet banana lumpia.
Try this Banana Chips Recipe and let me know what you think.
How to Make Banana Chips
- 2 lbs raw bananas peeled (plantains are recommended)
- 3 to 4 cups cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder Optional
- 2 tablespoons water Optional
- 1 teaspoon salt Optional
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Cooking Procedure
- In a bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of water, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- Pour cooking oil in a wide pot and heat.
- When the oil is hot, slice the bananas using a mandolin slicer and place a batch of sliced bananas in the hot oil.
- Deep fry the banana until almost crisp. When the bananas are almost done, scoop a teaspoon of the turmeric mixture and gently add to the oil. Note: Be very careful. This is an optional step. Doing this can add a yellowish color to the banana slices and make it more crisp.
- Once the oil stops bubbling, remove the bananas and drain excess oil. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, lets make the simple syrup. Heat a saucepan and pour in 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup sugar.Let boil.
- Gently stir the mixture and turn off the heat. Let cool.
- Quickly dip the banana chips in the simple syrup. Drain the excess liquid after dipping.
- Once the liquid dries-up, place the banana chips in a container, or serve right away.
- Share and enjoy!