Banana Fritter is a type of Filipino snack. It is a fried concoction made from ripe “Saba” banana or plantains. The bananas can either be sliced or mashed. It is then mixed with a batter composed of flour, sugar, vanilla, and egg. A fritter is defines as a mixture (such as a batter) that includes either fruit or meat. Maruya obviously falls under the category.
Banana is a healthy food. I enjoy eating maruya for breakfast. This also makes a great snack. I like it best with a cup of black coffee on the side. How do you enjoy eating your maruya?
As I’ve mentioned, there is more than one way to prepare the banana. Some people slice it in half, while others prepare it by slicing thinly crosswise. I’d say, do as you please. Personally, I prefer mashing the bananas because they are easier to cook that way. In addition, it also makes the mixture more flavorful.
Tips in Cooking Maruya
- When making Banana Fritters, make sure that you are using ripe bananas. Unripe bananas are quite bitter and will not give you the expected sweet taste. Here is a guide on how to ripen bananas.
- Try using a cup of oil initially for every batch. Add more as necessary. Doing this will prevent the mixture from absorbing excess oil.
- Don’t forget to roll your fried maruya in sugar after cooking. This makes it taste better.
Try this quick and easy Banana Fritter (Maruya) recipe. Let me know what you think.
Banana Fritter Recipe
- 6 pieces banana saba or plantain variety, ripe (mashed)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 piece egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 3/4 cups cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar. Mix well.
- Gradually add the mashed bananas while mixing.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Heat half of the oil in a pan.
- When the oil becomes hot, scoop about 1/2 cup of the mixture and then pour in the pan (add the remaining oil in the next batches).
- Fry both sides until the color turns golden brown.
- Sprinkle the remaining sugar on both sides.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!