This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The aroma that cinnamon adds to any dish will certainly entice anyone. Aside from the luring scent, this also has an exquisite added flavor that makes the dish or baked product even more delicious. Do you know that cinnamon is more than just another spice that enhances recipes? Are you aware of the health benefits of cinnamon?
For centuries, cinnamon has always been recognized as a powerful ingredient which could greatly contribute to excellent health. It is actually recognized as ‘Ayurvedic’ in Indian medicine because of its amazing help when it comes to improving blood circulation. On the other hand, this is also recognized in Chinese medicine as an effective cure for colds because of the warming effect that it could bring to the body. In the Roman and Greek cultures, this ingredient is known to resolve problems within the digestive system. Fascinatingly, the health benefits of cinnamon do not end there just yet. Here are the advantages that it could bring.
- Regulation of the Blood Sugar Levels – There have been studies which showed results that among the health benefits of cinnamon is that it helps out in preventing blood sugar level to spike up. In fact, even the American Diabetes Association recommends daily intake of cinnamon because people who regularly have their dose of cinnamon are able to control their blood sugar far better than those who take medicines for diabetes. This ingredient is helpful for people who have type 2 diabetes and hypoglycemia.
- Anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties – The main reason why it is recommended for intestinal and stomach problems is because of its ability to fight off fungus, bacteria and parasites. The oil and extract of cinnamon can also alleviate vaginal yeast infection and oral yeast infection.
- Improve Circulatory System – This is excellent for people who experience hypertension too. The cinnaldehyde which is an active ingredient in cinnamon avoids blood clotting that causes blockage of arteries, stroke and other cardiovascular problems.
- Anti-inflammatory properties – Since this spice has anti-inflammatory effect, keeping the heart healthy is another one of the health benefits of cinnamon. Aside from that, it is recommended for people who have arthritis because this can reduce the swelling and pain.
- Cancer prevention – This spice may not cure cancer but it helps out in staying away from this illness. A research conducted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Maryland showed that it hinders the growth and progression of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells.
- Increase Brain Functions – Eating and even just smelling cinnamon can boost the performance of the bran. Because of this effect, researchers have been studying the possible benefit of cinnamon for Alzheimer’s disease and other degenerative neurological diseases.
- Diuretic Effects – Cinnamon makes it easier to urinate which is also essential in enabling the body to get rid of toxins more efficiently. Aside from that, it also promotes increase secretion of breast milk for women.
This spice can be ingested in different ways so that you can also experience the health benefits of cinnamon. You can add it to your drink for more flavor and aroma. A pinch of this spice on your dessert or bread would be excellent too. There are also cinnamon sticks that you could enjoy.