This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Kinilaw na Tanigue or kilawing tanigue is a type of Filipino fish ceviche wherein Wahoo fish fillet is cut into cubes and cured in a mixture of calamansi juice, fresh ginger, onion, chili, and seasonings.
Calamansi (which is scientifically known as Calamondin) is a small fruit that looks like key lime. This has a sour juice with a mild bitter taste. It is a popular souring agent in Filipino cuisine and one of the best ingredients when making Filipino fish ceviche or kilawin.
The key in making the best kinilaw is to choose the freshest ingredient. The fish that I used were fresh from the market. This was made when I was in the Philippines for a few weeks. I was too excited to make this dish using the freshest fish and calamansi (since I am deprived of fresh calamansi here in the Midwest).
All the ingredients should be well blended. My technique is to combine all the ingredients in a bowl (except the fish) and stir everything until well blended. The mixture will be poured over the fish to absorb at the same time. Adjustments such as addition of salt and calamansi can be done later.
Kinilaw na Tanigue Recipe is considered as an appetizer dish. Although some people eat this with rice, it is best to be served as it is along with beer or liquor. This recipe can also be applied to other types of fish, such as tuna.
Try this Kinilaw na Tanigue Recipe (Fish Ceviche) Recipe. Let me know what you think!
- 2 lbs. Tanigue Wahoo fish, fillet and cut into cubes
- 2 thumbs fresh ginger minced
- 8 pieces hot chili Thai chili or siling labuyo, chopped
- 15 to 20 pieces calamansi
- 1 medium red onion chopped into small pieces
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- Squeeze the juice out of the calamansi over a large bowl. Use a sieve to filter the seeds. Discard the seeds.
- In the bowl with calamansi juice, add sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, and ground black pepper. Stir until the sugar and salt are diluted.
- Add the ginger, chili, and onion. Stir for a few seconds until all ingredients are well blended.
- Arranged the raw fish cubes in a large bowl. Pour the calamansi mixture. Toss until the fish cubes are coated. Let is stay for 10 minutes.
- Toss one more time and taste. Add more salt if needed. You can also add more calamansi juice if needed. Toss to blend all the ingredients. Securely cover the bowl and place it inside the refrigerator. Let it chill for at least 3 hours.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!