Lumpiang Hubad refers to a Filipino vegetable dish. It is basically composed of the same ingredients used to cook lumpiang sariwa. The difference between the two dishes is the wrapper.
The name of this dish is literally translated as “naked lumpia”. It got its name from the absence of lumpia wrapper, which should have acted as a clothing that holds all the components together.
I used the same sweet sauce for this recipe. It complements the dish. I enjoy eating this dish with warm white rice.
How to Cook Lumpiang Hubad
There are two easy processes involved. The first is to cook the pork and vegetables. The second process is to make the lumpia sauce.
Start by heating oil in a cooking pot. We’ll be sauteeing the onion and garlic. You know that this step is completed when the onion starts to soften and the garlic gradually browns. This is your queue to add the pork.
I suggest to slice the pork into small pieces. This helps it cook faster. Boiling it also helps a lot to make it tender. The next step is to add water and let it boil. I also add a piece of Knorr Pork cube to make my dish taste great. Cook the pork in a covered pan until the water completely evaporates.
The veggies are added next. Put parsley, carrot, and kamote into the cooking pot. Saute it for a few seconds and then add around half a cup of water. Cook it for a couple of minutes on a covered pot and then add long green beans and cabbage. We’ll do the same thing, cover the pot and let the veggies cook for 5 minutes.
I use fish sauce and ground black pepper to season my lumpiang hubad. Salt can also be used as an alternative to fish sauce. The sinkamas or jicama is added after seasoning the dish so that it remains crisp.
Now, make the sauce by diluting cornstarch with a few tablespoons of water. Next is to boil1 ½ cups water in a saucepan. Add soy sauce and crushed garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add brown sugar and the diluted cornstarch. Don’t forget to stir while cooking. Continue to cook until desired consistency is achieved.
Try this Lumpiang Hubad Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Lumpiang Hubad Recipe
- 1 lb. pork shoulder sliced into small pieces
- 1 piece Knorr Pork Cube
- 2 cups cabbage shredded
- 1 piece singkamas sliced into strips
- 1 cup Baguio beans sliced into thin pieces
- 1 piece kamote sliced into strips
- 1 piece carrot julienne
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 1 piece onion sliced
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- Patis and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil in a cooking pot. Saute onion and garlic until onion becomes soft.
- Add pork. Cook until brown.
- Pour 1 ½ up to 2 cups of water. Let boil.
- Add Knorr Pork Cube. Stir. Cover the pot and cook between low to medium heat until the liquid evaporates and the pork tenderizes.
- Add parsley, carrot, kamote, and ½ cup water. Cover the cooking pot. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Put the long green beans and cabbage into the pot. Toss. Cover the pot and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and ground black pepper.
- Add singkamas. Toss. Arrange on a serving plate. Set aside.
- Prepare the sauce by combining cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water. Stir until the cornstarch dilutes. Set aside.
- Pour 1 ½ cups water into a saucepan. Let boil.
- Add soy sauce and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add dark brown sugar. Stir.
- Pour the cornstarch diluted in water. Stir. Continue to cook while stirring until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Pour the sauce over lumpiang hubad. Top with crushed peanuts.