This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Eggs Benedict is a dish with origins in the US, whose recipe has been exported to countries around the world. It is a delicious meal with halves of English muffins as the base. It is then topped with eggs, bacon and sauce. Nobody really knows who the dish is named after and why. Nonetheless, learning how to make eggs Benedict can add another wonderful meal option to your breakfast menu.
Choosing Your Eggs Benedict Ingredients
Eggs Benedict consists of several layers of ingredients. The first are English muffins that you can either purchase from the store or make at home. If you are buying your muffins, try to find a variety with the highest amount of fiber and the lowest carbohydrate content. The eggs used in this dish are poached.
Bacon is often added to eggs Benedict but you can replace it with ham. When shopping for bacon, choose the uncured kind. It has less calories, fat and sodium, making it much healthier for the body. The final additional to the dish is Hollandaise sauce, which can be bought or made with eggs, lemon juice and a little butter.
How to Make Eggs Benedict
Learning how to make eggs Benedict includes three crucial steps: poaching the egg, frying the bacon and making the Hollandaise sauce if it’s not store-bought. To make eggs Benedict, you will need:
- 2 English muffins cut into halves
- 4-6 slices of uncured bacon
- 4 whole eggs preferably free-range
- Hollandaise sauce
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
Homemade Hollandaise sauce:
- A double boiler
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice freshly squeezed
- ½ cup butter preferably unsalted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To learn how to make eggs Benedicts, you must know how to make a good Hollandaise sauce first. Pour an inch of water into the bottom of a double boiler and place it over medium-low heat to simmer.
- Mix the egg yolks with lemon juice in a bowl first and then transfer it into the top part of the double boiler. Keep whisking vigorously as you add butter. Allow the butter to melt, sprinkle salt and pepper and remove from heat. Set the sauce aside for later.
- Set the oven to broiler and place the muffin inside in the heat until toasted. Remove them and set aside. In the meantime, heat a pan on medium-high heat and add bacon slices. If they stick to the pan, you should try adding a little olive oil and frying it until crispy. When done, layer the toasted muffins with bacon.
- To poach the eggs, fill half a pan with water. Let the water simmer over medium-low heat, making sure it doesn’t boil. Crack one egg into a bowl keeping the yolk intact. Gently slide it into the simmering water and do the same with the other eggs. When the egg white is set but the yolk is still water, remove from water with a slotted spoon and place them on top of the bacon.
- Drizzle the Hollandaise sauce over the egg muffin and serve. This is the simplest method to learn how to make eggs Benedict. With experience and time, you can make your own Hollandaise sauce recipe and experiment with other seasonings. Serve and enjoy.