Scotch Eggs are hard boiled eggs covered with a ground pork mixture (usually sausage meat mixture) that are dredged in bread crumbs and fried until golden brown.
Most of the time, Scotch Eggs are eaten as a snack. This also makes a good appetizer and picnic food. It is best eaten with spicy and rich dips like hot sauce or any creamy dressings. To me, I eat this like any other fried food — with fried rice and my favorite banana ketchup.
If you are afraid of eating too much fried foods, try cooking this by baking the eggs. Although baking might not produce a golden brown exterior color, it will surely give you the same delicious Scotch Eggs with lesser grease. If you decide to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the eggs for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the meat is done. I still recommend frying though for better texture and color.
Try this Scotch Eggs recipe and let me know what you think.
Scotch Eggs Recipe
- 5 pieces hard boiled chicken eggs shell removed
- 1 piece egg beaten
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 3 to 4 cups cooking oil
- In a large bowl, combine ground pork, salt, pepper, sugar, garlic powder, sherry, Worcestershire sauce, and flour. Mix well.
- Scoop an ample amount of ground pork mixture and shape around the hard boiled egg until the egg is fully covered.
- Dip the egg with ground pork in the beaten egg mixture, and then roll on the Panko bread crumbs until fully coated.
- Heat a deep cooking pot and pour-in cooking oil.
- When the oil becomes hot, deep fry the coated eggs until the color turns golden brown. Note: Do not wait for the oil to smoke before deep frying. This will easily burn the bread crumbs. Fry using medium heat.
- Transfer the cooked eggs in a plate lined with paper towels. Let excess oil drip.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!.