How to Make Strawberry Jam
Whether it’s on fresh bread or in oatmeal, strawberry jam can give any meal a sweet, delicious twist. Just a tablespoon of it can give you a boost of energy and provide a range of antioxidants to combat disease. Why not skip the store-bought variety and learn how to make strawberry jam at home? Homemade…
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Whether it’s on fresh bread or in oatmeal, strawberry jam can give any meal a sweet, delicious twist. Just a tablespoon of it can give you a boost of energy and provide a range of antioxidants to combat disease. Why not skip the store-bought variety and learn how to make strawberry jam at home? Homemade jam is not only healthier, but can save you money in the long run.
Benefits of Homemade Strawberry Jam
Making your own strawberry jam has its perks. First of all, you can have a jar in your refrigerator whenever you need it. In addition to convenience, strawberry jam is inexpensive and easy to prepare, saving you a lot of money, effort and time. Homemade strawberry jam is also the healthiest because it doesn’t need preservatives. You can learn how to make strawberry jam that is additive-free and full of nutrients and flavor.
Health Benefits of Strawberry Jam
Strawberry jam is made with pounds of strawberries. This means that it is filled with antioxidants and vitamin C. Both these nutrients can ward off diseases, accelerate healing and give you younger-looking skin. Strawberries are also top providers of fiber, folic acid and potassium. These help to reduce cholesterol, lower high blood pressure, balance your body’s electrolytes and maintain agile muscles.
Diabetics and dieters should be extremely tactful with eating strawberry jam. The high sugar content of jam is not healthy for diabetics and will affect blood sugar levels significantly. If you’re losing weight, limit your intake of simple sugars as they are converted quickly and usually end up stored in the body as fat.
How to Make Strawberry Jam at Home
You should always be careful when it comes to making canned or jarred foods at home. Unsterilized jars and lids can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Therefore, take care to use clean, sanitized equipment at all times.
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag us on Instagram at @panlasangpinoy or hashtag #panlasangpinoy so we can see your creations!
How to Make Strawberry Jam
- 2 pounds of fresh strawberries
- 2 cups jam sugar also known as high pectin sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- Sterilize your jars by boiling a large pot full of water. Place the jars inside and simmer until you need them. For lids, boil water in a kettle and pour into a large bowl. Soak lids in hot water.
- Rinse strawberries under cold water and remove leaves. Add them to a large pan, followed by the sugar.
- Slice the vanilla pod open lengthwise and take out the seeds. Add the vanilla pod to the pan and mash the ingredients together until only a few chunky pieces of strawberry remain.
- Place pan on a stovetop and turn up the heat until the strawberry mixture starts to boil. Once it boils, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; scoop out any foam forming at the top and let mixture sit for 15 minutes.
- Pick the sterilizing jars and lids out of the pot with long tongs. Spoon the strawberry jam into jars and close lids tightly. Refrigerate until chilled and serve.
Whether you’re a beginner or canning expert, anyone can learn how to make strawberry jam. Serve with bread, yoghurt, oatmeal, crostatas and scones.
Leave a Comment