Monggo Guisado is another version of Ginisang Monggo; this time using fish flakes from left over fried fish. I think that I cooked more than enough fried galunggong the previous day and I don’t want it to go to waste. My solution was to make this simple and delicious monggo guisado. I can also make fish lumpia, but that will be in a future post.
Making monggo guisado is easy. Since I am using mung beans that were soaked in water for several hours, I saved a lot of cooking time. The mung beans absorbed the water while soaking over night, this helped soften its texture. You will know because you can easily crush a bean using your fingers – try that using hard mung beans and you’ll immediately see the difference.
I also remembered that I still have half a bottle full of bagoong isda (bagoong Balayan to be exact). I usually mix this with calamansi or lemon and use it as a dipping sauce for fried fish. I wanted to leverage on the flavor and richness of this condiment; I knew that adding this with the mung beans would help improve the taste of the entire dish.
Who says that you cannot have Monggo Guisado if it’s not a Friday? You can now enjoy monggo any day you like.
Try this Monggo Guisado Recipe. Enjoy!
Monggo Guisado Recipe
- 1 1/4 cup mung beans soaked in 1 1/2 cups water (overnight)
- 3/4 cups fish flakes
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons bagoong isda
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 cup diced tomatoes canned or 3 fresh plum tomatoes, cubed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups water
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan.
- Saute the onion and garlic.
- Once the onion becomes soft, add the fish flakes and continue to cook in medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Put-in the mung beans. Stir, add the bagoong isda, and 1 cup water. Cover and cook for 15 to 18 minutes. Add more water if necessary.
- Sprinkle some ground black pepper and then add the spinach. Stir.
- Add more water (around 1 cup or more as needed). Let boil and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Adjust the taste by adding more bagoong isda (only of needed).
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Serve and enjoy!