Fried chicken has been a Filipino favorite. It is often served during special occasions and even on regular days. This recipe provides a twist to the regular Pinoy fried chicken by making it more flavorful and crispier.
What is your idea of the regular Filipino fried chicken? The first thing that comes to mind is the simple preparation, right? Simply rub salt over the chicken and then fry until done. While this version is far from simple, the result is truly delightful. You should have your crisp and delicious fried chicken with no breading.
How to Cook Pinoy Fried Chicken
The are quite a number of steps involved. Each is necessary to achieve our desired outcome.
The first thing to do is marinate the chicken. I am using an array of marinade ingredients to infuse optimum flavor. There is the ground nutmeg, onion powder, patis, and cooking wine. To make it more flavorful, I add Knorr SavorRich Chicken Liquid Seasoning. Adding this makes a huge difference.
Please note that it is important to marinate the chicken for at least 3 hours, or even overnight if you have time. This ensures that the marinade penetrates the meat. It makes the chicken flavorful. I suggest doing this step a day ahead of schedule for best results.
The next process involves steaming the chicken. It completely cooks the chicken and makes it tender. It is also the initial step in preparing the skin to be crispier (note: the next step is a must to ensure that your chicken will have that Peking duck like texture). Simply steam for 45 minutes.
You will need a bit more time to do the next process. There is no much effort on this step though. Arrange the chicken on a wire rack and the let it air dry for at least an hour. Air drying means leaving it uncovered in room temperature for 1 to 2 hours.
Once all the preparation has been done, it is time to fry the chicken. This is the easiest and quickest. Simply deep fry the chicken until it turns golden brown.
I enjoy eating my Pinoy style fried chicken with banana ketchup. How about you?
You might also want to try our crispy fried chicken recipe.
Try this Pinoy Style Fried Chicken recipe. Enjoy!
Pinoy Fried Chicken
- 2 lbs. chicken drumstick
- 32 grams Knorr SavorRich Chicken Liquid seasoning
- 3 tablespoons cooking wine (or rhum)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon patis
- 2 cups cooking oil
- Combine chicken, onion powder, nutmeg, cooking wine, patis, and Knorr SavorRich. Mix well and make sure that the chicken gets completely coated. Transfer everything to a resealable bag. Seal the bag and marinate overnight inside the refrigerator.
- Arrange the marinated chicken drumsticks on a steamer. Boil water and steam the chicken for 45 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the steamer. Arrange over a wire rack. Air dry for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot or deep fryer. Fry the chicken until color turns golden brown.
- Arrange on a serving plate. Serve with banana ketchup. Serve and enjoy!