I enjoy having red wine beef stew for dinner over mashed potato. It is simply delicious. This recipe and the cooking video below has the detailed steps on how I made this dish.
How to Cook Red Wine Beef Stew
Start by searing bacon in a cooking pot. The bacon fat needs to be extracted from it. Make sure that you stir once in a while to cook the bacon evenly.
Add the chopped onion once there is enough bacon fat. Cook until slightly soft, which is around 25 seconds. The minced garlic goes next. I usually cook these until the garlic browns a bit.
Adding the beef is the next thing to do. Saute until the outer part turns light brown. I am using beef chuck for this recipe. This cut of beef takes a while to tenderize, but it is full of flavor. You may use sirloin or other tender cuts of beef if you want your stew to be done quicker.
Add tomato paste and then pour red wine into the pot. These two ingredients make a good combination. Also, pour beef broth into the pot. You can simply use water if beef broth is not available. I suggest using a piece of beef bouillon (beef cube) to make the dish tastier.
Put the carrot and thyme into the pot. Cover and boil it between low to medium heat until the beef tenderizes. It may take up to 3 hours depending on the quality of the beef. You can also cook it in low heat for best result, but it will need extra time to tenderize. On the other hand, you can use a pressure cooker to cook it quickly.
Put the pearl onions and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Season your dish with salt and pepper.
Enjoy this dish with either rice, mashed potato, or baguette. You might also like to try our other beef stew recipe.
Try this yummy Red Wine Beef Stew Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Red Wine Beef Stew
- Sear bacon in a cooking pot until fat gets extracted.
- Add onion. Cook for 25 seconds while stirring.
- Add minced garlic. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Put the beef into the pot and then continue to cook until the color turns light brown.
- Add tomato paste and then stir.
- Pour red wine and beef broth into the pan. Stir and let boil.
- Add carrot and thyme. Cover the pot and continue to cook between low to medium heat for 2 to 3 hours or until beef gets tender.
- Put the pearl onions into the pot. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Red Wine Beef Stew