This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Spicy Chicken in Coconut Milk or Spicy Ginataang Manok is a Filipino Chicken dish that makes use of coconut cream or coconut milk and lots of spicy chili. This simple yet rich dish is easy to prepare and can be eaten along with rice for lunch or dinner.
I tried to make this dish as simple as possible so that you will find it easy to follow. If you have tried to make laing using one of our laing recipes, you’ll notice that we did not use cooking oil in the recipe; the ginger, garlic, and onion were initially cooked by boiling in coconut milk and the other ingredients were added sequentially.
Use any chili pepper that you prefer: the spicier, the better. You can also use cracked red chili or even cayenne pepper powder. As for the coconut cream, I prefer using it instead of coconut milk for this recipe because it is thicker and richer. However, coconut milk works well too.
Malunggay is a very good leafy green vegetable that I recommend using because it is packed with lots of health benefits. You can substitute spinach if maluggay leaves are not available; adding wedged green papaya is also a good idea.
Try this rich Spicy Chicken in Coconut Milk (Ginataang Manok) recipe. Enjoy!
- Heat a cooking pot and then pour-in the coconut cream.
- Add ginger, garlic, and onion. Stir and let boil.
- Put-in the chicken. Let the liquid reboil.
- Add the chili and turmeric powder. Stir. Cover and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add the mooring leaves (malunggay). Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: