Pininyahang Manok sa Gata (Chicken with pineapple cooked in coconut milk) is the perfect Filipino chicken stew that you can prepare for your family. This dish can be served during regular days and even on special occassions.
This Pininyahang Manok sa Gata recipe is a variation of our first pininyahang manok recipe (wherein we used fresh milk). Both version are good, and it is up to you to decide on which you like most among the two.
How to Cook Pininyahang Manok sa Gata
Start by marinating the chicken in pineapple juice. This will let the meat absorb flavor and it can also help tenderize it. I usually do it for at least 1 hour. You can do 30 minutes of marinating time if you are in a hurry.
The next step is the beginning of the cooking process. Simply saute the aromatics with tomato. The word “aromatics” refers to onion and garlic (it can also be used with ginger if it is present in the recipe). I usually cook it in high heat while stirring until the onion softens. Make sure to keep an eye on the garlic to prevent it from getting burnt.
Separate the chicken from the remaining marinade. Save the liquid. We’ll still need to use it later.
The next step is to add the chicken pieces in the pan. Continue to cook while stirring every 30 seconds. Do this until the skin and outer part turns light brown.
Pour-in remaining pineapple juice marinade. Also add coconut milk. Let the liquid boil. Set the heat to “low”. Cover the pot. We’ll need to boil the chicken for around 40 minutes.
The chicken should be tender and completely cooked after boiling. Now, you can add the pineapple chunks and all the vegetables at once and continue cooking for 5 to 10 minutes. You can also do it by sequence following the recipe below.
Lastly, season your dish with patis (fish sauce) and ground black pepper.
I like to have piniyahang manok sa gata over warm rice. I thought that the combination of coconut milk, pineapple, and the vegetables is perfect. This reminds me of our pinoy chicken curry recipe , which I really liked.
Try this Pininyahang Manok Recipe. Cheers!
Pininyahang Manok sa Gata
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken cut into serving pieces
- 14 oz. can pineapple chunks
- 1 piece red bell pepper sliced
- 1 piece green bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 pieces carrots sliced diagonally
- 1 piece onion diced
- 1 piece tomato diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Marinate the chicken in the pineapple juice from the canned pineapple chunks for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan.
- Saute the onion, tomato, and garlic.
- Add the ground black pepper. Stir.
- Add the chicken pieces one-by-one. Cook until the color turns light brown. Flip the chicken to cook the other side.
- Pour the pineapple juice marinade on the pan. Let boil.
- Add the coconut milk. Stir. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Add the fish sauce and pineapple chunks. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Put-in the carrots. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Pininyahang Manok sa Gata