This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sweet and Sour Red Snapper is perfect dish to make for lunch. It is delicious and simple to make. It took me less than 30 minutes to prepare this dish. I like this best when eaten with Yang Chow fried rice, although regular white rice will do too.
The process in making Sweet and Sour Red Snapper seemed to be simpler when I divided the task into 2 processes. The first process is to fry the fish. This involved rubbing salt all over the fish including the cavity and head. I let it stay for 10 minutes before frying so that the fish can absorb the salt. The next step is to fry the fish until each side turns golden brown.
The next process involves making the sweet and sour sauce. The sauce recipe is straightforward. All I did was to add each sauce ingredient one at a time and then thicken the sauce using cornstarch, which was diluted in water. Once the sauce is done, it is poured over the fried fish that lying on a serving plate. That’s it!
Try this Sweet and Sour Red Snapper Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 medium to large sized red snapper scales and entrails removed
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 cup cooking oil
Sweet and sour sauce ingredients
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 10 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- ¾ cup tomato ketchup
- 5 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch diluted in ¼ cup water
- Rubs salt all over the fish including the cavity. Let it stay for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Pan-fry both sides of the red snapper until it turns golden brown. Remove the fish from the pan, set aside.
- Prepare the sweet and sour sauce by boiling pineapple juice. Add sugar. Stir until well blended.
- Add ketchup and vinegar. Let the liquid re-boil.
- Stir-in the garlic powder and then add the bell peppers and onion. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour the cornstarch and water mixture. Stir. Cook until the texture reaches desired thickness.
- Arrange the fried fish on a serving plate. Pour sweet and sour sauce on top.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Sweet and Sour Red Snapper