This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Tanigue Fish Steak ala Bistek is the fish version of Filipino Bistek Tagalog. The fish, which are fish steaks, were rubbed with salt and then fried until golden brown. It was later cooked in soy sauce, lemon, and lots of onions similar to how bistek is prepared. This is a simple yet yummy dish that you can cook at home and serve to your family for lunch or dinner.
I am initially frying the fish steak for two reasons. The first is for stability and the second is for added flavors. The fish needs to be intact and should not fall into pieces when stewed or boiled. Frying helps keep the entire slice of fish hold its shape. It also brings out the flavor of the fish.
I only have one tip for you when making this dish. Use as many onions as you like. This brings out the best in this dish. You can always adjust the amount of sauce to be proportional with your ingredients.
This might look like a healthier option compared to its pork and beef counterparts, which are bistek tagalog and pork steak. However, you should also monitor your rice intake because this is insanely good to the point that you might be tempted to grab that extra cup of rice.
Try this Tanigue Fish Steak Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- Rub salt all over the fish steaks. Let it stay for 20 minutes.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a pan. Fry the fish for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Heat 3 to 4 tablespoons oil in a cooking pot. Saute garlic until light brown.
- Add 1/3 of the total onions. continue to saute until soft.
- Pour soy sauce and add lemon juice into the cooking pot.
- Pour water and let boil.
- Add sugar and ground black pepper. Stir.
- Put the fried fish steaks into the pot. Cover and cook in medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Turn the fish over in a way that the opposite side faces the bottom of the pot. Add the remaining onion. Cover and continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with rice.
- Share and enjoy!
Try this Tanigue Fish Steak ala Bistek Recipe. Let me know what you think.