Tinolang Tahong with Malunggay is a version of mussel soup wherein mussels are cooked with ginger broth and lemongrass along with malunggay. Moringa Oleifera or drumstick tree are some of the names given to malunggay. The leaves are used for this recipe. It is known to be very high in Vitamin A.
Tinolang tahong with malunggay is something that an ordinary Filipino household will have for supper. Fresh mussels are cleaned and then cooked in a ginger broth with onion and consumed as a main dish with warm rice. Sometimes, there is a saucer of fish sauce and chili on the side to give additional flavor to the dish.
I love how easy it is to cook this dish. Simply boil water alog with ginger, onion, and lemongrass, and then add the remaining ingredients all along. It is nice to have during cold days and I personally prefer to have it with grilled or fried fish.
You can cook tinolang tahong using other veggies such as spinach. This tinolang tahong recipe will show you how it is done.
Try this Tinolang Tahong with Malunggay Recipe.Enjoy!
Tinolang Tahong with Malunggay
- 2 lbs. mussels cleaned
- 2 thumbs ginger crushed
- 2 stalk lemongrass tied into a knot
- 2 cups malunggay leaves
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 5 to 6 cups water
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add the onion, ginger, and lemongrass. Continue to boil in medium heat for 8 minutes.
- Add the mussels. Boil for 6 minutes.
- Gently slide-in the malunggay leaves. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt and ground black pepper. Stir,
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!