One of my favorite Filipino dishes is the Kaldereta or Caldereta. It is a hearty meat dish using chevon (goat meat), beef, or pork combined with potatoes, carrots, tomato sauce, and liver spread or liver paste. This is a popular dish served during special occasions and a regular in every Filipino cookbook.
My family loves Beef Kaldereta and I must say that my wife is an expert in cooking this dish. As special at it may seem, preparing something like this takes some time and patience but it is all worth the wait. I would recommend the presence of a pressure cooker though to save some time in making the meat tender.
I love to put more words for this dish but my wife is now serving the kaldereta in the dining table. The aroma is tempting me somewhat saying “come and indulge”. I’m off to go but before that let me remind you to put some extra cups of rice in the rice cooker. Happy eating!
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 6
- 2 lbs beef, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup liver spread or liver paste (processed using blender)
- 1 tsp. crushed chili
- 3 large bay leaves
- 2 cups potatoes, sliced
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 cup cooking oil
- ⅔ cup green olives
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the cooking oil in the pan and fry the carrots and potatoes until color turns light brown
- Remove the fried carrots and potatoes from the pan and set aside
- In the same pan where the vegetables were fried, sauté the garlic and onions
- Add the beef and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add water and let the beef boil until tender (about 30 mins if using pressure cooker or 1 to 2 hours if using an ordinary pot). Note: I have been using my trusted pressure cooker for 5 years now and I haven't had any problem. It is not the expensive brand, but it works wonders for me.
- Add the tomato sauce and liver spread and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add green olives, carrots, bay leaves, bell pepper,crushed chili,and potatoes and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve Hot. Enjoy!