One of my favorite Filipino dishes is the Kaldereta or Caldereta. It is a hearty meat dish using chevon (goat meat), beef, or pork combined with potatoes, carrots, tomato sauce, and liver spread or liver paste. This is a popular dish served during special occasions and a regular in every Filipino cookbook.
My family loves Beef Kaldereta and I must say that my wife is an expert in cooking this dish. As special at it may seem, preparing something like this takes some time and patience but it is all worth the wait. I would recommend the presence of a pressure cooker though to save some time in making the meat tender.
I love to put more words for this dish but my wife is now serving the kaldereta in the dining table. The aroma is tempting me somewhat saying “come and indulge”. I’m off to go but before that let me remind you to put some extra cups of rice in the rice cooker. Happy eating!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Beef Kaldereta
- 2 lbs beef, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup liver spread or liver paste (processed using blender)
- 1 tsp. crushed chili or red pepper
- 3 large bay leaves
- 2 cups potatoes, sliced
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- ⅔ cup green olives
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the cooking oil in the cooking pot or pressure cooker.
- Sauté the onion and garlic.
- Add the beef. Cook for 5 minutes or until the color turns light brown.
- Add the dried bay leaves and crushed pepper. Stir.
- Add the liver spread. Stir.
- Pour-in the tomato sauce and beef broth.
- Cook the beef until it becomes tender (about 30 mins if using a pressure cooker, or 1 to 2 hours if using an ordinary pot).
- Add potato and carrots. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Put the green olives and bell peppers in the cooking pot. Stir and continue to cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve Hot. Enjoy!