Beef Kaldereta is a main stay in any Filipino Kitchen. It is a type of beef stew cooked with tomato sauce and liver spread. Ingredients such as potato, carrots, bell peppers, and olives are also utilized when cooking this dish.
This is a popular dish is served during special occasions. It is a regular item in every Filipino cookbook. Some consider kaldereta as the Philippines most famous beef stew.
There is more than one version of Filipino Kaldereta. This happens to be one that makes use of liver spread. It is an ingredient similar to liver pate. Its rich and bold liver taste helps make beef kaldereta tastier. The other version is using peanut butter instead of liver spread.
Other proteins can be used to make kaldereta. Goat meat and pork are widely used. Chicken can also be utilized using this recipe. I like to put green olives when I’m cooking one for a special occasion.
I add chopped chili peppers on my Kalderetang kambing. I usually make it as a pulutan dish, rather than a main entrée. It tastes better when spicy, in my opinion.
My Christmas Kaldereta has shredded cheese along with most of the ingredients here. You should try the recipe.
How to Cook Beef Kaldereta
The first part of the process is to sauté beef with garlic and onion. Start by heating oil in wide pot. Cook the garlic, onion, and beef. Continue to saute the beef until the color browns a bit. Add bay leaves and crushed peppercorn. Continue by adding liver spread, tomato sauce, and beef broth.
The beef needs to be cooked until tender. You can do it the traditional way by cooking it in a regular cooking pot over the stove top. This takes around 60 to 90 minutes. A faster way to tenderize beef is to cook it in a pressure cooker. It can save you time by more than half.
Go ahead and add the vegetables and seasonings. Cook for around 10 minutes and it’s done. The cooking process is simple and straightforward.
Beef Kaldereta is best eaten with warm white rice. I suggest cooking the rice while waiting for the meat to tenderize. You might forget the rice when you tend to be focused in cooking the beef.
Use fresh liver if liver spread is not available. I prefer pig’s liver over cows. It is best to puree it using a food processor before cooking.
Ripe fresh tomatoes and canned diced tomato can be used as a replacement for tomato sauce. Stewed tomato works too.
Try this Beef Kaldereta Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Beef Kaldereta Recipe
- 2 lbs beef cubed
- 3 pieces garlic cloves crushed and chopped
- 1 piece onion finely chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 piece red bell pepper sliced
- 1 piece green bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup liver spread processed using blender
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 3 pieces dried bay leaves
- 2 cups potatoes sliced
- 2 cups carrots sliced
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- ⅔ cup green olives
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the cooking oil in the cooking pot or pressure cooker.
- Sauté the onion and garlic.
- Add the beef. Cook for 5 minutes or until the color turns light brown.
- Add the dried bay leaves and crushed pepper. Stir.
- Add the liver spread. Stir.
- Pour-in the tomato sauce and beef broth.
- Cook the beef until it becomes tender (about 30 mins if using a pressure cooker, or 1 to 2 hours if using an ordinary pot).
- Add potato and carrots. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Put the green olives and bell peppers in the cooking pot. Stir and continue to cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve Hot. Enjoy!