Munggo or Mung bean (or even green bean to some) is a seed of Vigna radiata, a plant native to India and Pakistan. Since the plant originated in Asia, it was easy to spread along the nearby countries. This seed became a hit when it reached the Philippines.
Mung bean was used as an ingredient in different desserts and main dishes as well. The most famous Mung bean dish is the “Ginisang Munggo” (Sauteed Mung Bean). This dish makes use of Mung beans as the main ingredient complimented by different flavors from meat, seafood, and vegetables. A very healthy and satisfying dish that is friendly on the budget.
I like Monggo because it brings back the memories of my childhood. I often eat ginisang munggo when I was a child, and I can say that I liked it a lot. It is good to know that food such as this monggo recipe can bring back the memories from the past. Of course, I also like this monggo dish for its delicious taste.
Try this Ginisang Munggo (Monggo) Recipe and let me know what you think.
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 6
- 1½ cups Mung beans
- 1 tbsp garlic
- ½ lb pork, thinly sliced
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 pc medium sized tomato, chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 5 to 8 pcs medium sized shrimp (optional)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 24 ounces water (for boiling)
- 1 pc beef cube or 1 teaspoon beef powder (for flavoring)
- ½ cup crushed pork rind (chicharon)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a pan, put-in the water and bring to a boil
- Put-in the Mung beans and simmer until becomes soft (about 35 to 50 minutes)
- On a separate pan, sauté the garlic,onion, and tomato
- Add the pork. Cook for 5 mins
- Put-in the beef cube and fish sauce. Simmer for 10 mins or until the meat is tender. Note: If necessary, you may add water to help make the meat tender but make sure to add more time to simmer
- Add the shrimp. Stir and then cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the cooked Mung beans. Stir and then simmer for 10 minutes
- Add the spinach and pork rinds (chicharon)
- Sprinkle the ground black pepper
- Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: